Saturday, August 7, 2010

Home-made Grenadine Syrup


Grenadine is a red syrup added to drinks like the Tequila Sunrise to color them. It's high fructose corn syrup with red dye added, but (as I recently learned) it started as a pomegranate syrup. It seems 'Grenadine' is from the French for pomegranate, 'Grenade.' And when I discovered that, I also discovered that it was very easy to make. So I made some.

I bought a 16 ounce bottle of Pomegranate juice (available everywhere nowadays) and simmered it to reduce it by half. Then I added a cup of sugar, and stirred until it dissolved.

Finally, I dumped the Grenadine we had into the sink and washed the bottle out - leaving the attractive label. And I put a label saying 'home made' on the label in case I forgot. I filled the bottle with the syrup and stored it in the fridge. It's a beautiful color.

Last night I added it to some white wine as an aperitif - it was kind of like Kir. Tonight I took some Sangria to a party and I used about 1/4 cup of the grenadine in the Sangria. It was really nice. I wish I had discovered this when my kids were small so I could have used it to color/flavor their party drinks.

No comments: