Friday, August 6, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

We are having our roof done. Or, at least part of our roof. And we are having to decide on the color of shingles which will cover a gigantic portion of our house from a little tiny square of material. To make matters worse, the tiles are not unvaried in color - that is, there is shading on the edges of some tiles and also different tiles in a panel are lighter or darker. The ultimate effect is to make a varied look that mimics cedar shakes.

Oh, and did I mention that each shingle, no matter whether light or dark, is composed of zillions of little beads of different colors.

So, we want dark grey. The contractor said that he'd buy a bundle of each and lay them out so we could look at them. I asked him to see if he could just get bigger samples first, before going to that effort.

And I'm torn between Pewterwood and Driftwood - but much depends on the total effect on the roof. The top one is Pewterwood, the bottom is Driftwood. I just told the contractor I was leaning toward Pewterwood, but looking at these I'm liking Driftwood better.

Sigh. A really important decision, but kind of boring at the same time.
*********************









Note added later: We've gone with the Driftwood. It looks lovely and soft next to the new siding, which we will put on the house maybe next year. We currently have it along part of the back of the house only.

And here's a picture of the final choice on a house which is entirely unlike ours:

1 comment:

peaceable_tate said...

Such trivial, boring decisions though you have to live with the results for a very long time. I place roofing decisions on my list of the 10 most boring household expenses. Off the top of my head, I'd only put asphalting the driveway lower.

At least, for a hot-water heater, there are environmental & morning shower benefits. New tires on the car--there are safety rewards.