Monday, August 11, 2008

Nifty New Purchase

Look at this cool dish I bought. I've never seen anything like it before. I don't even know quite how to describe it. The black floral design is silver on the back of the dish and from cruising ebay, I'm thinking the design is something called silver overlay.

This one was in the 75% off bin of a antique store in Essex. When I bought it for a few dollars, the woman told me it was black metal, not silver on the edge. I was pretty sure she was wrong. In fact, had I not been thinking humbly that she was more of an expert than me, I would have been sure it was silver. And she definitely was wrong. It's silver, though more tarnished than I've ever seen. But, with a good amount of rubbing the solid black starts to come off, and then the silver comes up beautifully. I'll leave the floral design black I think, but just clean up the edges of the dish.

1 comment:

Vivi said...

A Haiku

Gorgeous dish, and a
bargain! Jealousy
wafts from the left coast.