Monday, August 11, 2008

Fruits of the Season: Part 2

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by vegetables and fruit. Today, I froze 7 pounds of green beans and cut up 3 small watermelons (one delightfully yellow) into easily eaten chunks. I baked 2 loaves of zucchini bread. I sugared some blackberries which we'll probably have for dinner. I looked up a recipe for Rumtopf (fruit preserved in rum, a German Christmas treat).

Tonight for dinner we are having a curry made of kohlrabi, kale, potatoes and carrots, all from our CSA share. The heat is supplied by hot peppers I froze last year from our share and our garden. But I still have a fridge full of vegetables and more that don't fit in the fridge. Plus, peaches, yellow plums and blackberries from a local farm and some cherries our neighbors gave me from their yard.

Last week we had a dinner with 9 vegetables in it and another with 8 vegetables in it, so that makes tonight's dinner of only 4 veggies, plus fruit for dessert look puny by comparison.

What am I going to do with all these vegetables? I can't keep up: I'm falling behind. (voice rises into a whine at the end). Waaaah!

No comments: