Sunday, June 29, 2008

Rose and I Reussi

Rose and I have passed our immersion course and can go on to level 6.  If we complete level six we officially become 'advanced' speakers.  That seems impossible at the moment, but it could happen. 

For most of the month we have felt as if our French was getting worse every day.  Suddenly, since Friday (the last day of the class) we've been able to say things in French to complete strangers.  Things are starting to consolidate in our brains, now that huge amounts of new information are not being flung at us each day.  

OK, we still aren't perfectly fluent, but we get by. 

I have a new goal, which I think is achievable.  I want to comprehend well enough that when strangers approach me-  on the street or sales associates in stores, for example - I don't freeze in a deer-in-the-headlights kind of way, with a look of horror on my face. A look that makes very kind French people say 'Oh, you speak English?'

By the way, Rose and I don't say 'deer-in-the-headlights' now. We say 'Biche-en-phare,' because we have passed niveau 5. 


No comments: