Thursday, June 19, 2008

Inconveniences of Life in France

OK, I know I'm not going to get any sympathy for this, but if you are imagining that life here in France is perfect in every way, let me just mention my shower.

First of all, notice the doors.  They aren't hinged, but just connected by a bit of plastic so they neither open nor close all the way.  
Second, everytime I slip through them into the shower, one of them falls off. It's only a piece of plastic in a plastic groove. In the picture, the left side door is propped against the shower wall. They go back in easily, but not permanently.
Third, the water comes out of a hand held 'pomme de douche' and not very fast and not very hot. Oh, and pointed at the wall not the person.  So the general strategy is to let the water flow while it warms up, then wet yourself all over. Then turn off the water and soap your self / shampoo. Then turn the water on so that a slim trickle eventually rinses off the soap/shampoo.  

This is why Sister Rose and I were so extremely delighted by the Jacuzzi in our hotel in Cahors.  We both felt that we were clean for the first time in 2 weeks. 

And when Sister Rose and I were looking for a hotel to stay in when the COG and Rose's husband arrive, we kept stopping at the pictures of plumbing in various hotels.  We spent time gazing longingly large, glass shower stalls.


No comments: