Friday, February 15, 2008

The Bride is Cranky

I've been out shopping for bath gels. I was looking for a pump bottle (easier in the shower) of some nice scent: lavender, jasmine, sandalwood, almond, rose, lemon verbena, gardenia or vetiver. Not that picky, just some wonderful scent. In a pump bottle.

And what I found is all kinds of bath gels with food scents - strawberry, cinnamon pumpkin, vanilla, coconut, melon, mango, banana smoothie, chocolate truffle, daiquiri, cucumber mint, orange, apple, grapefruit, peach etc. Even the floral scents were mixed with food: lavender/ vanilla, rose/ red currants.

It makes me cranky. I don't want to smell like a banana smoothie. I want to smell like a gardenia or a rose. And not a rose with red currants. Maybe a rose with lavender.

Is this phenomenon somehow related to the American obesity problems?

I finally found a Caswell Massey almond scented one. I know, I know - almonds are a food, but the almond scent isn't food-like, so it works for me.

4 comments:

David Briggs said...

Hmmm, It make me a bit hungry just reading your post. That's at least part of what I would blame American obesity on, the insistence by manufacturers on using food smells to make us feel good.

And another part of the current American obesity I would place on the fact that Americans are not as active as they once were. We all need to get more exercise, and yes, I AM including myself in this statement.

Mister Cellophane

The Bride said...

Find a mall and shop for a nicely scented non-food bath gel in a pump bottle. You'll get a good workout.

peaceable_tate said...

What you wanted, in fact, was the Savon liquide de Marseille à l'huile d'olive that we had in Toulouse. The fragrance of that was Santal

I brought about a quart back with me, so I'm stocked for the year.

But I've seen something similar at Whole Foods. Not such a nice collection of fragrances--rose, lavender--but at least not food.

peaceable_tate said...

I'm noticing that this post is over a week old. Jeepers, time flies when you are barely keeping your head above water.