Friday, May 22, 2009

On Shoes

It's the old old story (you'll have to click on the highlighted bit to see the pictures, I'm afraid).

The most comfortable shoes I have ever put on my feet, bar none. (in the green colorway)

or


Really really cute, but less comfortable, shoes

My mother used to read us a poem, which doesn't really apply because I can choose, but the inner struggle is the same.

Choosing Shoes
by Ffrida Wolfe

New shoes, new shoes
Red and pink and blue shoes,
Tell me which would you choose,
If they'd let us buy?

Buckle shoes, bow shoes,
Pretty pointy-toe shoes,
Strappy, cappy low shoes;
Let's have some to try.

Bright shoes, white shoes,
Dandy dance-by-night-shoes,
Perhaps-a-little-tight shoes;
Like some? So would I.

BUT

Flat shoes, fat shoes,
Stump-along-like-that shoes,
Wipe-them-on-the-mat shoes,
O that's the sort they'll buy.

1 comment:

Vivi said...

Wonderful! My mother never read me that. Maybe because my older sisters made sure I had some dandy candy apple sandals and zany rainy boots.