Sunday, October 20, 2013

Doggerland - the North Sea Atlantis

I've been following links this morning from an article in the BBC America website about Jersey being one of the richest and most recent Neanderthal sites in the British Isles.  Which is interesting in itself but I also learned of the existence of Doggerland,

which is the area shown in red in this map from the BBC America site. Apparently, at one time, the whole area in red was land which slowly flooded between 18,000 BC and 5,500 BC as the glaciers melted and the sea level rose.  They've determined, by looking at the gunge dredged up by fishermen and from oil wells, that this area was a rich habitat filled with animals and people. It stretched down the coast of France to about level with the Lascaux caves (about 18,000 years old).

Yesterday I said that the chalk cliffs had broken off from Normandy, but clearly that was wrong.  I did say that I had frequently read and not retained the information about the geology of the area. So I just read it again and the cliffs are formed by erosion of the sea.  Beyond that, I don't know. There Were Geologic Forces At Work.

Do you ever start reading about something and suddenly your brain just veers in another direction and you are thinking, 'don't those yellow roses look pretty in the blue vase' or 'maybe I should play just one game of Freecell,' or making a grocery list in your head?  That's what happens to me when I read about Geologic Forces. Also, anytime the COG tries to explain the workings of my car engine to me or what an F-Stop is/does.

Some things are simply meant to be mysteries.


No comments: