In the little village of East Dean, at the edge of the South Downs, we discovered this house facing the village green. It's a characteristically Sussex house in brick and flint. Notice the blue historical marker on the facade.
Apparently in the preface to “His Last Bow,” published in 1917, Dr Watson tells his readers that Holmes chose as his retirement retreat “a small farm upon the Downs, five miles from Eastbourne . . .”.