Friday, March 27, 2009

Spring Peepers, again

My last blog had the sound of the Spring Peepers. I thought I'd tell you a little more about them.

Every Spring, we wait eagerly for the first peeps. Hearing them means Spring is here. Wednesday night, the COG came home from work and the first thing he said was, 'Spring Peepers'. I immediately went outside and listened. Once they start they don't stop - rain, snow or sleet, they are out there peeping, night after night.

I believe the peep means something like - "Hey, Ladies, here I am, virile and unattached, just waiting for that special lady who'll make my house a home." or, perhaps, "Choose me, choose me, choose me."

The creatures which make this mighty sound are tiny little frogs- only 1 inch long at full growth. I don't think I've ever seen one, but I love them. Some people call them 'Pinkletinks,' which is cute, but I prefer Spring Peepers. That says it all.

No comments: