Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How does anyone get through life without a sister?

We are off to get Kate a haircut, then spend the day walking the streets of Salem. It occurred to me in a flash of ecstasy last night that, with a sister, I could spend all day visiting old houses and even a reproduction of an 18th century India merchant ship, without worrying. A sister can keep up with me and enter into every passing house/O'Brian/dish/glassware thought with no problems at all.

I have gotten the free passes for the Peabody Essex museum from the library so I even have hopes that I can spend as much time as I want looking at the superb china and pottery exhibits there.

Bliss!

In the words of the immortal Jane Austen: Children of the same family, the same blood, with the same first associations and habits, have some means of enjoyment in their power, which no subsequent connections can supply.

OK, not one of her pithier sayings, but true nevertheless.

No comments: